Match Reports‎ > ‎

U21 Championship Quarter Final

posted 18 Sep 2017, 15:04 by Athlone GAA

Athlone 4-6 St Loman's 1-11

Four excellent first half goals, including two in a minute in injury time, paved the way for our under 21s to defeat St Loman's of Mullingar under the Páirc Chiaráin floodlights on Friday, as they emulated our junior and minor teams by qualifying for the championship semi-final, where they will face Rosemount-Castledaly. Athlone opened the scoring in the second minute with a Jack Quinn point, before Josh Beaumont doubled the lead with a deflected effort after a Richie Greene shot had come back off the crossbar.  St Loman's brought themselves level with two points of their own, but Jack Quinn put Athlone back in front with the first goal of the evening, when he finished off a good move with neat finish.  The visitors replied again with a brace of scores to reduce the gap to the minimum, and although Josh Beaumont replied with his second point, the Mullingar men took the lead for the first time with a well-taken goal of their own.  The home side responded to this setback in the best possible fashion, however, when Kieran Colclough finished off another fine move with a powerful shot for his side's second goal.  Another Quinn point, sandwiched between two further Lomans' points, meant that Athlone led by a point as the game entered first half injury time, but they got a huge boost with two goals in the final minute.  First Beaumont fisted home from close range after being set up by Quinn and then Daniel Reid blasted to the net to give the Shannonsiders a scarcely deserved seven point half-tim3 lead, 4-4 to 1-6.

Boosted by their strong finish to the first half, Athlone began the second period well, but were guilty of going for more goals, when points to keep the scoreboard ticking over might have been the more sensible option and instead it was St Loman's who opened the scoring with a couple of points.  Richie Greene did finally open Athlone's second half account with a clever close range finish, but the forwards were not finding the space that they had in the first half.  Fortunately, the home defence was also denying St Loman's any clear scoring opportunities, and both sides added only more point each, Athlone's from a Richie Greene free, in the following 20 minutes.  St Loman's did add two points very late on to reduce the gap to four points, but they were unable to create the goal chance they needed and Athlone held on for the win.

Athlone:  Conor Devaney, James Finlass, Matthew Darling, Shane Galvin, Michael Doolan, Stephen Ward, Shane Allen, Daniel Reid (1-0), Fionn Dowd, Donagh Prendergast, Jack Quinn (1-2), Kieran Colclough (1-0), Josh Beaumont (1-2), Diarmuid Martin, Richie Greene (0-2)  Subs:  Mark Egan, Benny Martin, Sean Dowd, Tadhg Prendergast, Patrick McGettigan.