Match Reports‎ > ‎

Minor C'ship - Athlone v Millmore Gaels

posted 25 Jul 2016, 15:00 by Athlone GAA

Minor Championship Group 2  
Athlone 5-11 Millmore Gaels 4-12

Athlone’s Minor Boys’ team opened their Championship campaign with a victory when they survived a late Millmore comeback to win a thriller in Páirc Chiaráin on Wednesday evening.

After two early Millmore points were matched by excellent scores from Anthony Johnson and Daniel Reid, Athlone took the lead for the first time with a goal from wing-back David Cleary who finished coolly after being released by a great pass from Shane Allen.  A Benny Martin free following a foul on Eoin Fahey stretched the lead, but the visitors halved the deficit with two quick points.  Another excellent Daniel Reid point steadied Athlone again, and they opened up a two goal lead when JJ Offorjama showed great determination to get on the end of a Tadhg Prendergast pass to fist home from close range.  The same two players added points in response to a brace from Millmore, before Athlone survived a major scare on the struck of half-time when Robert Teape had to make a great goal-line clearance to prevent a seemingly certain goal, although Millmore pointed the rebound to leave Athlone leading by 2-6 to 0-7 at the break.

Athlone hada great start to the second half with points from Reid and Offorjama inside the first minute, and after Millmore had responded with another pair of points, the home side enjoyed their best spell of the game with a flurry of superb scores to seemingly put the game beyond their guests.  A Benny Martin point was followed by a Sean Dowd goal when he punched home the rebound after a lobbed effort from Martin had come back off the bar, before Benny finished a brilliant move to the net to put Athlone four goals ahead.  Despite Millmore responding almost immediately with a fine goal of their own, further points from Shane Allen and Tadhg Prendergast and Athlone’s fifth goal from Anthony Johnson put Athlone 13 points clear with 12 minutes remaining and seemingly set fair for a comfortable victory.  The visitors had other ideas however, and a point, quickly followed by two very well-taken goals reduced the gap to just two goals.  Another goal, controversially and belatedly awarded after goalkeeper John Duddy had appeared to claw out a close range effort before it had crossed the line, left just a score between the sides with eight minutes still to play and suddenly the Ballymore-Milltown men looked the more likely winners.  However the Athlone defence regrouped and despite being under severe pressure in the closing minutes, showed great discipline to restrict Millmount to just one more point from a free, as Athlone held out to win a high quality game on a scoreline of 5-11 to 4-12.

Athlone:  John Duddy, James Finlass, Michael Doolan, Patrick McGettigan, Eoin Fahey, Robert Teape, David Cleary (1-0), Danny Reid (0-3), Shane Allen (0-1), JJ Offorjama (1-2), Sean Dowd (1-0), Donagh Prendergast, Benny Martin (1-2) Tadhg Prendergast (0-2), Anthony Johnson (1-1)  Subs Used:  Enda Daly, Ben Troy, Mark Egan, Luke Kelly.