Match Reports‎ > ‎

JFC: Athlone v Caulry

posted 16 Jun 2015, 02:13 by Athlone GAA
JFC Sec B Result: 
Athlone 2-12 Caulry 3-4

Our Junior men continued to their winning start to the Junior Championship when they accounted for Caulry in sunny Mount Temple on Sunday evening.  This was a game that Athlone dominated for long periods but had to withstand a late Caulry comeback before coming away with the two points.

The opening exchanges were evenly matched  and Caulry opened the scoring with a point from play after six minutes, before Cathal Joyce opened Athlone’s account with a point from a rebound after a Mickey Greene goal effort had been saved.  Caulry restored their lead on 11 minutes but this was cancelled out almost immediately by a Mickey Greene free.  The lively Joyce then gave the visitors the lead for the first time when he pointed after good work by Greene, before doubling the advantage with another score from a rebound, this time after Joe Fallon’s free had been saved.  Fallon then got on the scoresheet himself with a point from play to give Athlone a 0-5 to 0-2 lead after 20 minutes.

Athlone were on top at this stage and a brace of brilliant goals put daylight between the teams.  First, Cathal Joyce blasted to the net following a great run by Tadhg Prendergast and some nice interplay with Dermot Bannon, before Sam Omukoro put a screamer into the top corner after some great play by Daniel Reid.  Dylan Lynch added a fine point to give the Blues a 10 point half time lead, 2-6 to 0-2.

The opening stages of the second half were marked by several bad wides from both sides and there was almost 10 minutes gone before the first score, a Caulry goal that reduced the gap to seven.  Athlone responded to this setback in fine style and kicked five unanswered points to seemingly put the game beyond the home team midway through the second half.  However an injury to midfielder Declan Byrne, who was on top in midfield, swung the game in the Reds’ favour and they dominated the closing 10 minutes to leave Athlone hanging on for the win.

A goal after 50 minutes, followed by two points had the lead down to seven, before stand-in keeper Gary Quinn was caught by a high ball that ended up in the net to leave just four between the sides with still three minutes and injury time to play.  Athlone were fortunate too that some wild shooting from the hosts in this period meant that the gap was not less than four.  This meant the hosts were forced  to try for another goal as the game entered injury time, but the visiting defence held firm to prevent them adding to their total and final score of the game was an Athlone point to leave the visitors victorious on a scoreline of 2-12 to 3-4.

Athlone: Gary Quinn, Mick O'Daly, Daniel Lynam, Eoin Jordan, Daniel Reid, Rory Donnellan, Shane kilroy-glynn, Sam Omukoro, Declan Byrne, Tadhg Prendergast, Dermot Banon, Dylan Lynch, Joe Fallon, Mickey Greene, Cathal Joyce.  
Subs: Aidan St John, Kieran Rigney, Andy Lynam.