Club Notes‎ > ‎

ACFL Div 3

posted 20 May 2019, 14:44 by Athlone GAA

Athlone 2-14 Killucan 3-10

 Our Division 3 team made it two weekend wins for our men’s teams when they pipped Killucan in an exciting contest played in Páirc Chiaráin on Saturday evening.  Despite missing some regulars due to hurling commitments, this was Killucan’s senior team so it was an excellent win for a young Athlone, many of whom had featured against The Downs 24 hours earlier.

 Conor Rushe marked his adult debut for the club by opening the scoring with a neatly-taken point, but Killucan responded with a goal and quickly added three frees to open up an early five-point lead.  At this stage, it looked like it would be a long night for the Athlone lads, but Rushe brought them back into the game with a nice solo score, before three superb points from Benny Martin, in his first appearance of the year, reduced the gap to the minimum.  A Richie Greene free brought Athlone level, and a long-distance Shane Allen effort looked like giving the home side a surprise half-time lead, but they conceded another soft goal straight from the subsequent kick-out to trail by 2-3 to 0-7 at the break.

 Two more long-range Shane Allen scores, either side of a Killucan free, brought Athlone back to within a point, and they regained the lead when Mark Egan fisted to the net from close range to finish off a brilliant team move.  This lead didn’t last long, however, as the visitors replied with a pointed free, followed by their third goal, to restore their two-point advantage.  Fortunately, as in the Division 1 game on Friday night, Athlone were able to bring in quality replacements from the bench, which helped as Killucan tired.  A brace of Richie Greene frees levelled things up again, and despite briefly falling behind to another Killucan point, further scores from Martin, Greene and Andy Lynam put Athlone two points ahead, 1-14 to 3-6, as the game entered its closing stages.  Killucan fought back with to level things up with a few minutes to play, but when Athlone struck for their second goal, a powerful finish from Darren Costello after another great move, it looked like they had done enough to earn their first win of the campaign.  The visitors had other ideas though and fought back with two very late points, before earning the chance to snatch a draw when they won a free from the 45 with was to be the last kick of the game.  Luckily for the hosts, this free dropped short meaning Athlone hung to win their first game of the campaign by the narrowest of margins, 2-14 to 3-10.

 Athlone:  Conor Devaney, Shane Galvin, James Finlass, Daniel Lynam, Andy Lynam (0-1), Fergal Murray, Niall Doolan, David Fagan, Patrick Munnelly, Mark Egan (1-0), Shane Allen (0-3), Conor Rushe (0-2), Richie Greene (0-4), Benny Martin (0-4), Donagh Prendergast Subs Used:  Declan Byrne, Eoin Maher, Kieran Colclough, Darren Costello (1-0).